- What is Hole in the Wall?
- How is price determined?
- Why is the price sometimes so low
- What can I do if I find the price offered too low?
- How firm is the price?
- Can I sell my book back to a different school?
- What happens if demand expires before I get to my nearest store?
- How does my book get to the other Campuses?
- Do you buy study guides or CD ROMS?
- What is an ISBN?
- Can I sell a book I originally purchased used?
- Can I sell back books in any condition?
- Does the previous edition of my text have resale value?
Hole in the Wall is what we call our Sellback located. It is located in the hallway next to the Campus Store in Gilmour Hall. From the front entrance of the Campus Store in Gilmour Hall, follow the red footsteps in the hallway to Hole in the Wall.
The price is determined based on who is buying the book. We work in partnership with schools across Canada as well as wholesalers to maximize the opportunity to sell back your book. If a book is used at McMaster you''ll receive up 50% of the price of the current new book price. If the book is being used at another school, or if a wholesaler is buying it - you’ll receive up to 40% of the current new book price.
3. Why is the price sometimes so low?
When we’re buying books for McMaster we offer as much as we can. Price is a function of supply and demand, and it also has to reflect the costs we have to pay staff to organize, catalogue and ship the books we buy.
4. What can I do if I find the price offered too low?
IIf the book has not yet been adopted on the McMaster campus the price may be lower than expected. You can list all of your books in Sellback Alerts. As a participating campus adds the title you will be notified by email of the price.
The demand for the book is finite and is maintained in real time. The price does not fluctuate. Schools place a limit on the number of books they will buy and the system works on a first-come-first-served basis. Demand decreases instantly with every sale and can expire quickly. If you see a price you like to sell your books, you should come in as soon as you can to make sure you don’t miss the change to sell your books.
6. Can I sell my book back to a different school?
Yes! Many universities and colleges participate in the program. We encourage the practice - but remember demand can expire quickly so get there quickly. Please make sure that the university/college in your hometown is buying your book before you make a special trip.
7. What happens if demand expires before I get to my nearest store?
Sorry, you are out of luck. You can sign up for an alert to be notified by email when the book is in demand again. The system is updated in real time, so it is possible that we will have all the books we need by the time you reach the Bookstore. Please note that we have no control over the demand for a book or the numbers needed at another school.
8. How does my book get to the other Campuses?
The Campus Store pays you for the book and looks after the organization and cost of shipping the books to where they are needed.
9. Do you buy study guides or CD ROMS?
Some schools do, some don''t. As long as it has an ISBN, you check to see if it’s on the list for Sellback.
International Standard Book Number. All books have one and each edition of a title has a different ISBN. You can usually find it on the back cover of the book next to the barcode.
11. Can I sell a book I originally purchased used?
Yes! The system is based on the ISBN of the book not whether you bought it new or used.
12. Can I sell back books in any condition?
We want to buy back books that will be useful to another student. The books must be in decent condition (i.e. no missing pages, ripped covers etc). Highlighting or minimal writing in the book is usually OK. We will assess the book when you bring it in, and we reserve the right to refuse to purchase damaged books or books that are unlikely to be repurchased by other students.
13. Does the previous edition of my text have resale value?
Typically when new editions are released the old editions are no longer used in courses. Since the system is based on demand for current course materials, it might be unlikely we will be looking for older editions.
Regular Sellback Hours @ Hole in the Wall:
Sellback hours are limited to the end of each term, during the exam period - refer to hours calendar for dates.
The Hole in the Wall is located in the hallway outside the Main Store. See all store hours.
- Check that Sellback is open.
- Check that we're buying your books back before you make the trip. Get a quote now
- Sign up for an alert. Let us remind when it's time to sell your books.
In one easy step you can sign up for a email reminder letting you know when we are buying your textbooks back and / or post your books in a 3rd party classified listings where you sell books privately to other McMaster students. While most individuals who use Sellmytextbooks.org have successful experiences, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud the community. Please remain aware when using this service and take safeguards to protect yourself. Sign up for an email alert and post to the Used Book Classified board.